Sunday, January 9, 2011

A New Tradition

For those of you that have ever lived in the South, at some point in your life, I am sure you Mom 
made you eat black eyed peas on New Year's Eve...
As a kid, I dreaded eating those yucky beans... My Mom would tell me every Eve 
that they would bring me good luck for the upcoming year... 
Honestly in the past few years, it hasn't really crossed my mind...seeing as how I don't really HAVE TO DO IT anymore, but this year I decided to bring my family tradition back. 
I think it's important to mesh family traditions...especially ones from the South :) Ryan had NEVER heard about black eyed peas or eating them for good luck. This year, I baked 
them in a crock pot with a ham bone donated from Ry's grandma Linda. They turned out pretty good and Ryan ate some with a BIG smile. The best part of this new York family 
tradition is remembering my Grandma Beryl... As a kid, I remember sorting beans with her on 
Sunday afternoons after church. We would spend a few hours going through and tossing "the bad beans" to the side. She would teach me about life lessons, while I sat across the table from her. And one lesson that I haven't forgot, was to always be honest with everyone.  I will always keep those memories close to my heart. I Love you Always and Forever Grandma

No comments:

Post a Comment